Saturday, August 4, 2012

Weekend!

One day of apartment hunting done.  Of the 6 places I saw, I only liked one of them enough to really consider, but I want to keep looking because I think it's probably too expensive for where it is.  I think it's in a decent part of town that is fairly central, but there isn't an MRT stop close by. I'm going to go look again today. Hopefully with better results!

One thing that I'm already struggling with is figuring out a budget. When I think about how much rent I want to spend a month, it's hard for me to estimate how much disposable income I need to have each month. I have no idea how much my Singaporean lifestyle is going to cost.

For example, I met up with some future co-workers for dinner last night at a Brazilian steakhouse (this irony is not lost on me haha). Dinner and two drinks put me back S$85. I couldn't even tell you the last time I went to an $85 dinner on a random Friday night in the US!

But I will say that I feel so lucky to have a few contacts here already! And the diversity of this place is really astounding.  Last night, I was invited to dinner by a fellow American, but I was able to meet ex-pats from Switzerland, Brazil, England, and New Zealand.  All of them seem to love it here in Singapore, so that is promising!

Side note - I just read a preview of this post and noticed that I ended three out of four paragraphs with an !  I find this to be hilarious.


No comments:

Post a Comment