Thursday, August 16, 2012

Almost official

Well it seems like I have made a lot of strides this week in terms of "officially" settling in.

Earlier in the week, I got my Singapore Employment Pass, which is basically my ID card.  The thing I am most excited about with this is what it means for me as a traveler.  Basically, if you have a Singapore ID card, the government has your fingerprints on file, and when you fly back into the country, all you have to do is show them your card and scan your thumbprint!  No more waiting at Immigration!  As if the Changi Airport could possibly be anymore efficient.... I am traveling for the next few weeks, so I am excited to try this out!

After getting my Employment Pass, I was finally able to get a local cell phone!  I am currently carrying two iPhones, but pretty soon my US phone will get shut off and I will only have my Singapore number.  I've had my US number (813!) for what feels like forever, so I am really sad to let that go.  If you need/would like my new phone number, please just shoot me a quick email!  (I don't think publishing it on the internet is a good idea haha.)  Also, I downloaded the Viber and What'sApp apps, so friends, please go get one of these apps so that we can text/call for free!

Quick gripe about work - I care about calls/texts being free now because I have to pay my own cell phone bill.  In Singapore, they don't pay for their employees to have phones!  Also, getting my work email connected to my cell phone has been a logistical pain.  I was thinking about not getting it hooked up at all, since that seems to be the norm here (and they aren't paying for my phone!), but since I am working for primarily Americans, I figure that its probably a smart idea to have my email on my phone :)  Ok, I'm done.

I also signed my lease today!  I take over my apartment on Saturday, but my shipment from the US is STILL IN AMERICA.  Obviously, that is less than ideal.  But at least I will have an address here now!

A few other random thoughts...

Some of you may remember from my trip over here in the spring that the office gives out fresh fruit every Wednesday.  This week was a tart apple!  I heard that a few weeks ago it was a kiwi!

I just purchased my ticket to go to Melbourne, Australia this October!  Stephanie is going down there to run a marathon (her goal is to run a marathon on every continent!), so I figured that was a great excuse for me to go as well!  The race actually offers several distance options, so I was thinking of doing the 10K, but then just today I started thinking about doing the half marathon?  I am definitely not in any shape to be running a half marathon in two months, but I figure that even if I have to walk a lot of it, it will be a great experience and a cool story?  What do you guys think?

Lastly, here is a nice little snapshot of what some people do during their lunch break..




1 comment:

  1. Okay, with all this talk of switching cell phones and such, the thought of you actually having to change your phone number NEVER crossed my mind. How weird is that? I would be devistated if I had to lose the 352!! haha. Its the little things, I guess.

    Also, I used Viber when the Indian was in India. It wasnt the best, but it did its job. It was fine for texting. Let me know when you get it set up and add me!

    ReplyDelete