Monday, June 30, 2014

Winding down

Hi everyone.. how was your weekend?  Mine was a really lovely combination of tons of random stuff, but unfortunately, I did a terrible job of photographing any of it!!

Most of you probably already know that my two-year assignment here in Singapore is coming to an end.  My last day of work here is 31st July, and I'm planning to fly back to the US on 2nd August.  So soon!!  Although this experience has had it's share of highs and lows, overall, it has been absolutely amazing, and now that it is winding down, I am getting so very sad!!!  It is definitely a bittersweet time - I'm very excited about the next steps on my path, but at the same time, my time in Singapore has been incredible.

Since I don't have many weekends (or weeks) left here on this island, I've started trying to get around to many of my old favorites while also getting to all the places that I've been wanting to try!  Friday night, we spent the early part of the evening hanging out on a rooftop at Boat Quay before visiting the "kebab window" that I love.  Afterwards, we headed over to Parkview Square to see the Wine Fairy in action!

Lobby bar

Apparently, Parkview Square was originally meant to be a hotel, but I think something happened with the financing, and the new buyer just turned it into office buildings.  So it has a really lovely and grand lobby area that includes a vertical wine room.  A girl (dressed in silver and sequins) attaches herself to some cables and goes up and grabs your wine order from the column.  Sounds pretty cool, right?

Can you see her?

In actuality, this place was a bit of a bust.  The was service extremely slow (even by Singapore standards!), and the overall atmosphere was just a bit blah.  I wouldn't return again, but I guess it was something to experience!

Saturday was a pretty lazy day for me, but the exciting thing of the evening was a (completely unpictured) dinner with friends at the new Outback!  Another mall has just opened up on Orchard, and along with it, a new Outback Steakhouse!  My friend Kim works in their corporate offices back in Tampa, so she was able to get me onto the guest list for the friends & family opening event.  In the spirit of cultural sharing, I invited some of my English friends to come enjoy a (gratis) taste of how America interprets Australian cuisine.  It definitely brought back some memories!!!

On Sunday, I celebrated my friend Sarah's MBA graduation with a super fancy champagne brunch at the Ritz Carlton!!  To me, this brunch is the ultimate event - it just seeps luxury.  We feasted on all sorts of delicious treats and had our fair share of Moet while sitting in the lovely setting.  It was so great :)

Ritz Carlton lobby

Cheese tray

Tonight, I had planned to go running with a friend after work, but when she had to bail, I took advantage of an empty calendar and went to go check out the newly re-opened La Pau Sat!  (hey - I can run anytime, but I can only go to hawker centers for just another month!)  This hawker center is right next to my office, and I used to go there quite frequently, but it closed down for renovations more than nine months ago.  I think the entire CBD is very happy to have them open again!!


I had a delicious bowl of bun bo hue for S$6.  Later on this week, I have some fun plans to get around to some other delicious places that I've been meaning to try, and then on Thursday night, I'm heading to Bali to ring in the 4th!!

Hope everyone at home has a great Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment