Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Treats, snacks, and spinach smoothie

My first few days back in Singapore have been pretty low key.  April (can you believe it is April?!) should actually be a bit quiet for me.  I did have one trip to India planned for work, but that's since been cancelled, so I actually have zero travel planned for the month.  But I think it will be good to take it easy, as I've got two exciting trips coming up in May!!

I got back to Singapore early morning on Easter Sunday.  After a whirlwind two weeks in the US, all I really wanted to do was nothing.  Even though I had spent the past 24+ hours sleeping, reading, and watching TV on an airplane, being able to do those things from the comfort of my beloved sofa was exactly what I needed.

I'm not super fashionable (as we all know), so I won't really share with you the boring clothes that I bought, but I feel like you guys are more interested in what treats I bought instead!

I was my own Easter bunny this year.  Treats from Target!

Grains and legumes!!!

A re-stocked snack drawer.  Microwave popcorn, snack mix, granola bars, Kind bars, and Starbucks Via packets.

Duh.

Everyone knows that I love peanut butter.. almond butter.. etc.  I didn't buy any while I was home, but don't worry - I am pretty well stocked!!

The second shelf of my (fairly empty) fridge.

Two more jars of Justin's in the door!

I am tentatively scheduled to be back in the US in early June for work, so I think I should be good on treats and snacks until then haha.

Monday was back to business.  After two weeks of zero exercise, I was glad to be up early (thanks jet lag!) to go running.  Omg - my legs felt like lead, and I was totally cursing myself for not running at all back home. It definitely did not help that it was so insanely hot outside.  81 degrees with 94% humidity at 5:30am sucks. I did just over a mile (better than nothing!) and felt like crap.

Tuesday was a bit better - 3 miles in the heat, but it felt a lot easier than Monday's run.  So far this week has been life as usual.  If I am honest, work has been hard to get back into.  I guess that is to be expected when you take two weeks off.  And after feasting in the US, I wanted to spend the week eating healthy and fresh foods.  My days have started with spinach smoothies, which is good, but lunches and dinners have been dumplings, sushi, and pub fare - not so good haha.

Yum!

Dumplings!!

While I was home, some of my friends commented to me about my love of avocado on toast.  I guess I post a lot of those pictures on Instagram?  Anyway, if you guys have never tried a spinach smoothie, you really should!!  It is a really great way to get in your greens (I would go through two bags of spinach a week just for smoothies), and they are delicious!

Here is the recipe that I used (in order that it goes into the blender) back in the US:

1 sliced banana (I used fresh, never frozen)
Two big handfuls of bagged spinach
Five or so big glugs of almond milk (I think this is about a cup.. I usually used unsweetened vanilla)
A little water (maybe a quarter cup or so?)
One scoop of smooth peanut butter (about a tablespoon, I used the same knife that I sliced the banana with, and I would use a spinach leaf to scrap it off the knife)
Five frozen strawberries (make sure these weight down the spinach leaves)

Blend!  Enjoy!!

In Singapore, I use frozen spinach and no frozen strawberries.  Fresh spinach that is not grown in a country I don't trust is hard to come by, and frozen berries are incredibly expensive, so I just do without.  Bananas, like everything else, go bad a little bit quicker than they did in the US, so I often end up using frozen ones.  Oh, and I add a squirt of honey to the non-strawberry mixture.  And sometimes a dash of cinnamon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment