Sunday, April 7, 2013

So this week was a bit weird - I'm not going to lie.  When I left the US last Friday, I was ready to get back to Singapore.  Meaning, I was sad that my vacation was over, but I wasn't really sad that I was leaving America and going back to Singapore.. does that make sense?  Anyway, this week has been pretty tough in terms of missing home again.  Other co-workers of mine have told me that they also had a hard time getting back into the swing of things after coming back from the US, so I'm hoping to snap out of it quickly.

A friend texted me earlier in the week asking about the banana oatmeal that I love so much, so I figured that I would share the recipe on the blog as well!  I eat this breakfast all the time, and I totally love it.  I use regular rolled oats (not instant!), but it really only takes about 6 minutes to make, and you only dirty one pot. I know it's not as fast as those small microwave packets, but it is also way less processed!!

Oatmeal is not photogenic.

For a delicious breakfast of banana oats, put 1/3 cup of oats, 1/3 cup of almond milk, and 1/3 cup of water into a small pot.  Turn it on medium-high, and slice a banana.  After about five minutes or so, the oats will begin to bubble just a little bit.  Drop in the sliced banana and then stir the whole pot like crazy.  You'll start to smell the sweetness of the banana, and the oats will thicken up.  It's done when the oatmeal is your preferred level of mush!  I always stir in a spoonful of almond butter at the very end - just because I love banana and peanut butter together so much.

Other morning activities this week included some running

I know I've mentioned office dress code before.  This girl was walking into the office in front of me one day this week.  In a sheer shirt and a super tight and super short mini skirt!

Weekends always help to relieve mental burdens and help me reset, so this weekend was good!  Friday night, I went to an impromptu block party, which was actually a ton of fun, and so representative of the social scene out here.  Club Street is near my office and has a lot of bars and restaurants, and someone (that I didn't know) who lives on that street had heard that Club Street was going to be closed to cars at night!  So this guy decides that he wants to have a block party on Club Street.  I went with a couple of friends (who also didn't know the guy throwing the party), and the party grew from about 8 of us to about 60 of us.. all just standing in the street (which actually did not get closed down) hanging out.  It was so incredibly random, but awesome.

Yesterday, I went to the Red Dot Design Museum.  It was more like a store than a traditional museum, showcasing cool things (lights, bags, sinks, chairs, you name it) that you could go online and buy.  Afterwards, we went for Korean barbecue!!!  Yum :)  Sadly, I took zero pictures of the day.  Oops!  You'll just have to trust me - the museum was cool and the food was delicious.

This morning, I was supposed to run a 10K here in Singapore.  Unfortunately, after I got back from my travels last Sunday, I completely forgot to go and get my race packet!  Also, I hadn't done any running while I was in the US, so I felt less than well-prepared to run a 10K this morning.  So, it was a pretty easy decision to sit this one out.  But I am bummed that I didn't get a t-shirt!

That's all I've got for now friends.  Hope you're all having a great weekend now that spring has finally sprung!




No comments:

Post a Comment