Sunday, November 18, 2012

Busy week

Where did I leave off...

November 14 - I'm thankful for old friends.
November 15 - I'm thankful for international shipping.
November 16 - I'm thankful that I have a good job.
November 17 - I'm thankful for how friendly and welcoming the ex-pat community is here.
November 18 - I'm thankful for yoga!

First let me say that it is Sunday night, and this is the first time I've opened my computer all weekend.  Woohoo!!

The rest of my short week flew by.  I discovered a great wine and tapas bar near my apartment, went to see the new Bond movie with friends, and had a super fancy lunch to close out the work week.  Here's a look at some of the highlights.

Cheese plate, spicy meatballs, garlic shrimp, and chorizo bruschetta at Wine Connection.  They sell bottles of wine for only S$30!  And the atmosphere is great.  And it's close to my house!

I was finally in the office for free fruit Wednesday!  This is a persimmon, I think?  You eat it like an apple, but it doesn't really have much taste in my opinion.

Swiss rosti with garlic pork sausage for dinner before Skyfall with a bunch of Brits.  It was interesting to me to hear how well-versed they are on all the Bond movies.  Maybe it's just because I'm really not much of a movie-goer, but I couldn't really tell you much about any of the other Bond movies.

Here is a genius idea - when you buy your movie tickets, you get to pick your seat!  No need to get to the theater extra early to get a good one.  Also, please notice how the movies are actually semi-reasonably priced here!

One thing that is totally lacking in Singapore is the idea of personal space.  I snapped this photo in the elevator at work one morning.  That girl is literally an inch away from me and my coffee cup.

Lunch with a view!  Just because it was Friday.  Every now and then, its nice to treat yourself to something that reminds you that life is pretty good :)

Fancy lunch - some sort of chicken dish, but what perplexes me is why you would serve a chicken breast in a bowl instead of on a normal plate?

The weekend has flown by as well.  Yoga, cleaning, hanging with friends, and the Jersey Boys!!  This was opening weekend for Jersey Boys, so we splurged on tickets and got great seats!  You could tell that the cast and crew were still working out some kinks (at one point, the mics stopped working and they all took an unplanned recess!), but I thought the show was great, and I really liked it.  No pictures were allowed in the theater, but here are some fun ones from elsewhere during the weekend.

Mall entrance.  I don't know if you can really see the sign, but it is basically wishing you a "beary happy Christmas!"  The cartoon-ish nature of absolutely everything in Singapore is something that I am still getting used to.

Ok - has anyone heard of Texas Chicken?  This is obviously the logo for Church's Chicken!

Another look.  Are there any Texas Chickens in the US?  Was Church's even started in Texas?  So confused.

The latest feature item at McDonald's is the Chicken BLT.  Sadly, it seems that I have missed my opportunity to experience the Samurai Burger :(  

Just because I still think this is funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment