Saturday, November 10, 2012

A few days behind

So my thoughts that my blog posting would be a bit more timely this week were obviously just not accurate.  Somehow, its still be a pretty busy week!  First let's catch up on the things I'm giving thanks for..

November 6 - I'm thankful for America
November 7 - I'm thankful for technology and the way that it lets me stay connected at home
November 8 - I'm thankful for Viber and What'sApp.. free international texts!
November 9 - I'm thankful for healthy babies for my friends
November 10 - I'm thankful for new friends in Singapore and hospitality

Obviously this week in the US, the big news was the election, but it barely made a blip on most people's radars here.  It was a bit of a different experience to be outside of the US for the election.  There was definitely a lot less coverage of everything leading up to the election - but I feel like I had a mediocre sense of what was going on just based on what I saw popping up in various social media channels.  Wednesday (Tuesday evening in the US) in the office seemed like a normal day for everyone else, but I think all of us Americans were a little less productive than usual because all the election results were coming in during the morning.

So I've been thinking.  Four years ago, I watched the election results with friends in Nashville.  I had just met them all a few months earlier when we started grad school.  Four years ago, I was still registered to vote in Florida.  I was a vegetarian.  I lived in the Americana and walked to Owen everyday.  I was just about to be a bridesmaid for the very first time (that really tells you how much has changed since then!).

So it makes me wonder, what will it be like after four more years?  And the weird thing is, I have absolutely no idea.  In four years, (I think) I will be living in America.  I hope I'll still be working for the same company, but other than that, I really have no idea.  Where will I live?  Will I have a car?  Will I be renting?  (Probably.)  As a person who loves to have things planned out, it is a bit strange to think that I have no plan beyond the next 18 - 21 months or so.

Deep thoughts.

Anyway, another highlight from the week.. I actually met a girl here who is originally from Nashville.  We spent a few minutes reminiscing about all our favorite places.  At one point, we brought up the Patterson House.  I started to tell one of the other guys we were with about it.. "oh, it's this really cool speak-easy style bar that makes really great and really creative cocktails.. but you really only go there for a drink or maybe two because it's pretty pricey.." And it's funny because I had to stop and correct myself... "well, when I lived in America, I thought the drinks were pricey!"  How much is a drink at the Patterson House?  I don't even remember!  $12 or $14?  Something like that?  Now that I'm living in Singapore, I wouldn't even bat an eye at those prices!  In fact, those prices are what I'd consider fairly reasonable!  (That night we were drinking beers that were 2 for $13!  But only during happy hour!  My how things have changed..)

And now for some fun Singapore pictures!

Instead of those little green sticks that they give you in the US, Starbucks in Singapore puts tape over the top to keep your drink from spilling.  They do this in Malaysia too actually.  (Love the red cup!)

Pho on a rainy day.. one of my absolute comfort foods.

When a new restaurant opens, a bunch of people send gigantic flower arrangements and they are all displayed outside.  This also happens when there is a big anniversary too.  For some reason, I think that this is so Asian!

A sign in the MRT station.  Who would even think to bring a giant TV onto a train?  Apparently, someone.

Cosmo = not suitable for the young.  I find this hilarious.

I'm not sure if you can really see this, but the price tag says that this People magazine is S$7.90.  Oh - and it is a wee bit outdated.

In the office there is a vending machine with free snacks.  You just have to scan your badge and you can have whatever you want!  I've eaten a ton of these Dewberry cookies this week..

Tom Yum seafood soup for lunch one day.  Spicy and delicious!!

But of course, I'm still eating regular old American food at home.  Avocado on toast with a side of grapes.  I eat this meal at twice every week.

Ok friends - have a happy weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment