Thursday, September 27, 2012

Dinner with jhiv

In case you missed the first one, tonight's post is another virtual coffee date, where I pretend like we're just catching up like we are sitting across the table from each other.  Tonight, we are having dinner.. probably at some restaurant that neither of us had ever been to before!

So if we were having dinner tonight, I'd tell you that things are going well out here!  I feel like I have gotten over the first little hump in the road, and I'm feeling more settled.  I've started to get more into a groove at work, which I think has really helped.  (I still haven't gotten a freaking expense reimbursement approved yet, but that is another story haha.)  Now that I'm done with Malaysia for a while, working in Singapore has been helpful because I've been able to actually buy groceries, do things at night, and its easier to make plans with friends when I am in town!  Also, I haven't gotten lost or gotten on the wrong bus in at least two weeks, so that is another good sign :)

Speaking of work.. I took this picture of the office at 8:30 this morning.. it was SO empty.


I'd say that I feel really lucky that I've been able to make friends out here pretty easily!  It really is crazy how the expat community is so welcoming and easy to cling to!  You would probably be surprised at how "American" things seem at times.  Sometimes, it feels like home, but then I look around, and everyone is Asian haha.

On the other hand, some things are really different from home!  For example, tomorrow is the company "Dinner & Dance".  Apparently, this is an annual event that is a huge deal.  But - unlike work events in the US, nobody is allowed to bring a date, and the suggested attire is a costume.  Not because it is anywhere close to Halloween, but because the theme of the party is a fairy tale.  So you are supposed to get together with a group of co-workers and pick a fairy tale and dress up!  My table couldn't really decide on a fairy tale, so I think I'm just wearing a cocktail dress.  We'll see how this goes :)

I would tell you that I am missing football big time.  I miss tailgating for Vandy games, and I miss watching Fox NFL Sunday.  I know I've said this before, but its so weird that its fall because it doesn't feel like fall in any way out here.  I've noticed that the air has been a little bit cooler here the last few days, but its also been raining quite a bit lately, so I think that's why.  I've enjoyed the change in temperature, but it really sucks when it rains and its time to go to work.  Trying to get a taxi in heels and carrying a computer bag is not an easy task.

I'd say that as much as I miss the US, and as different as it is out here.. I am really glad that I am here :)  Come visit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment