Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday

Earlier this week, one of my Singaporean co-workers said to me "you don't look like you can speak Mandarin." I found this to be hilarious because clearly, I think I do look like I speak Mandarin. I feel like people often speak to me in Mandarin, assuming that I understand! Anyway- just thought I should share that with you guys :)

So today was my last day in Malaysia for a while. It started out pretty rough.

The coffee maker at Starbucks wasn't working. (Starbucks in Malaysia is a completely separate topic.  They don't open until 8, and they don't even have coffee ready when they open!)  Thankfully, the espresso machine was working.

We take a taxi into work.  Today our taxi overheated. So we stood on the side of the road waiting for another taxi to come get us.

In taxi number two, I spilled my Americano on my leg.

Once we finally got to work, the day went pretty smoothly. We ordered in Chinese food for lunch, and the team suggested that I try a yogurt drink to go with my lunch.

Tasted like orange sherbert

The one hour flight back to Singapore went smoothly, and the child that was screaming in the boarding area was silent throughout, so that was an added bonus.  For some reason, I am exhausted today, so I had no desire to really do much once I got home.  Plus, I want to get up early tomorrow for my run.  So I spent my Friday night grocery shopping and writing this blog post while listening to a podcast.

I've noticed that there seem to be a lot of ex-pats in my neighborhood.  This isn't that surprising, since I found out about my neighborhood way back when I went to ex-pat coffee group during my first days here in Singapore.  Anyway - it seems that the grocery store near me is totally designed for ex-pats.  Michael Buble was playing tonight while I browsed the aisles, and I feel like there is a better selection of brands that I recognize than at some other grocery stores I've been to.

One thing I haven't mentioned yet on the blog is the eggs here.  They don't refrigerate them.  It feels a bit alarming to just see shelves full of eggs, just sitting there in the middle of an aisle.


But obviously, everyone on the island eats these unrefrigerated eggs, and they are all fine, so its just something that I need to get over.  Also, when the chicken lays the egg, that is obviously not a refrigerated environment either!  Hard boiled eggs seem like a good option for me right now - since I STILL don't have my shipment from the US, I am trying to eat as simply as possible.

If you can't tell from the picture above, the egg selection was pretty vast.  I think they pay much more attention to the chicken's diet here?



Ignore my manicure that is growing out...

There was also a ton of "corn" eggs, but the most interesting ones I saw were these.  I'm a bit confused though.. is this supposed to be that all the eggs were the first one laid?  I'm curious as to what the thought is behind why those would be better?

In the US, I always got organic free-range eggs.  I really just thought that they tasted so much better.  Yeah, it was way more expensive than the regular ones, but $3 for eggs is still not that much.  However, the unrefrigerated organic eggs from New Zealand are S$10 here.. (all the eggs shown above were in the S$2 price range)


So I went with these free range eggs instead.  I think the "Happier hens, Tastier eggs" slogan is what won me over.  These were S$3.  Still pricey for only six eggs, but hopefully they are delicious?


Other items I bought tonight were bananas, grapefruit, bread, jam, an avocado (not a Haas, so we'll see how that goes), and some Laughing Cow wedges.  Cost less than S$20!  Woohoo!  Maybe I won't be broke and starving after all...

I've got an eight mile run planned for the morning!  I'm a little nervous.. I've never done a random eight mile run before.  The only other time I have run that far was during the 2010 Country Music Half Marathon... I have a new issue of Runner's World to read (the mail finally came!) and I just finished listening to a podcast about half marathon training, so hopefully that will translate into a good run tomorrow.  

Speaking of podcasts - I just started listening to them.  Does anyone else listen to them?  What are some good ones that I should check out?  I'm figuring that podcasts might help me keep up with news and sports back home, but I'm open to other topics too!



No comments:

Post a Comment