Thursday, October 24, 2013

Missing the kitchen

Those who know me know that I love to eat, and I love to eat most anything.  One thing that has definitely changed since I've moved to Singapore has been what I eat.  Obviously, I eat loads more Asian food, and gone are the days of kale, Greek yogurt, and anything from Trader Joe's.  The food scene in Singapore is actually really great - you can get anything but good Mexican, but for some reason, I often end up eating the most random things.


Case in point - for dinner tonight, I had some butter lettuce topped with salsa, lentils cooked in taco seasoning (imported from America), and half an avocado.  This was actually one of my more "composed" meals.. a lot of nights, I end up eating avocado sandwiches, banana with peanut butter, or frozen dumplings with a side of veggies.  Super random, but super low maintenance.

I eat this way now for a multitude of reasons.  Groceries (at least the items that I want to eat) are so expensive.  I was always the girl who scoured the Publix ads and only bought things when they were BOGO.  "If it's not on sale, then it doesn't exist" was actually a rule that I followed pretty closely.  Nowadays, I find myself trying to just find prices that I can even bear to look at.  I saw a recipe the other day for a simple soup made with tortellini and veggies.  At my local grocery store, the tortellini was $11, the spinach was $6, and the canned tomatoes and broth would have run me another $5.  If I wanted to top my soup with the optional parmesan cheese, that would've been another $7.  For that much money, I would rather just go out to dinner and not have to do any dishes!

But I miss cooking!  I deeply miss cooking.  I am going on vacation with some friends over New Years, and we are staying in a condo with a kitchen.  We just started to do some initial planning, and someone mentioned putting together a grocery list.  The thought of being able to actually cook (and for more than just one!) is so exciting to me!  I looked on my old Pinterest boards for recipes and realized all the great foods that I've been missing out on.  If anyone wants some recipe ideas, just let me know.. I've got a stockpile that are waiting to be made...

No comments:

Post a Comment