Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Floating and the future

Hello friends.  Today is a public holiday in Singapore, but I've spent the day working from home in order to do some catch up after my long absence.  I find that working from home usually goes one of two ways - you either get tons of stuff done, or  you get nothing at all done.  (Fortunately, I've been able to get quite a bit accomplished from my sofa today!)  I also took advantage of some Flexibility (squared ha) and went out for a run this afternoon!  It has been raining quite a bit during the mornings and evenings, so this was my first outdoor run in Singapore in ages.  Man, I had forgotten how HOT it is here.  Even when it doesn't feel like it's that hot outside, 30 minutes of running will make you sweat like crazy!

So while I was running, I was thinking... I'm not sure if I've really mentioned this before, but I feel like I've finally gotten to a season in my life where I'm pretty happy with how things are going.  I spent a lot of my twenties putting a lot of pressure on myself and feeling frustrated that I wasn't living up to my own expectations, but as I've crossed into 30, I really feel like I've been able to let a lot of that go.  It's an incredibly liberating feeling, and I am beyond thrilled to have released myself from this (self-created) burden.

That said, I feel like I'm a bit lost for direction these days.  The downside of easing up on some pressure on myself is that now I find that maybe I'm just floating?  Just kind of carrying on with life but not really pushing myself towards something?  Like, I'm not really sure what my next step is, and even worse, I'm not sure what I want my next step to be.  Getting the opportunity to go on secondment and move overseas was certainly a goal of mine for a while, but now I feel like I need to set my sights on some new goals.  I've obviously been trying to soak up my time in Singapore and enjoy it for what it's worth without too much fretting over the future, but I think that it might be time to come back to Earth for a bit and think hard about where I go from here.  If you've got any thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to share!

And now, just to lighten the mood, here are some funny pictures I've snapped lately.

This man is ready for happy hour!

This was in front of me on an escalator at the movies.  A tail on one pocket?


No comments:

Post a Comment