Tuesday, March 15, 2016

On Estonia

Hello all!  How is everyone?  I am currently sitting in my apartment with my feet propped up.  I'm not exactly relaxing... my right ankle is elevated because I fell skiing this weekend and injured it a bit :(  Just when I thought I was getting the hang of things!

So needless to say, my weekend was not the greatest, but aside from that, life has been pretty standard.  Just lots of work.  This past week, I made (what I hope is) my final trip to Tallinn this year! I went there just after International Women's Day, and I was surprised to see lots of cake and flowers in the office!  My colleagues told me that International Women's Day is quite the ordeal in Russian culture, which has had a heavy influence on Estonia.  Accordingly, all the guys in Estonia bring flowers and treats for the female colleagues on this day.



When I mentioned that this is not really a big deal in Geneva, my co-workers surprised me by buying me flowers and chocolates over lunch break!  How sweet :)

Ignore my tired face.  Seriously, I have at least three people a week tell me I look tired.  Yeah, I am tired.  What do you want me to do about it?!

After having been to Tallinn several times since I moved to Geneva 1.5 years ago, here are my thoughts:

They are just so nice.

I love the brown bread.

I love having smoked fish for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

The idea of Asian food is super funny.

They can really drink a lot.

The women I work with are great examples of how to be stylish in the cold weather when you have to walk a lot.



Other random travel notes from the week -

I have confirmed my loathing of Frankfurt airport.  I used to think this was such a great airport, but honestly, it is just too damn big.  When I have to walk for 30 minutes in between gates, that is absurd.  And when I arrive at my gate to find that there is no lounge nearby, that is even more absurd.  #firstworldproblems

I have confirmed my love of the Brussels airport.  Even though I ended up accidentally knocking a bottle of water over into my laptop bag, I still love The Loft lounge at this airport.  Easy to get to, great food and drink selection, and plenty of outlets to charge electronics!

As you may have seen in my travel schedule, I have a trip to Tel Aviv planned in mid-May.  I am a little nervous.  I'll continue to monitor the situation, but to be fair, anything can happen anywhere, at any time.

The drive to Chamonix was particularly eventful this weekend.  Not only did we get stopped at the border, but I only had a photocopy of my passport as identification, and on top of that, the car details were not fully updated.  It is actually turning into quite the ordeal.  Sigh.

I have been nailing down all of my eating details for my upcoming trip to the US.  I am just so excited!  I'm planning on Bern's, Yummy House, Mexican food, and lots of other delicious favorites.  Hoping to also squeeze in some healthy eating and exercise too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment