Saturday, August 17, 2013

What I'm Watching Lately

Hello friends.  It is currently Saturday morning, and I'm blogging from the kitchen with a cup of coffee and a good night's sleep.  Is there anything more luxurious than a relaxed weekend morning?  I think not.

This past week was incredibly draining for me at work.  I think that in part, I was already on a bit of a sleep deficit due to Abu Dhabi, but I just could not get it together.  I spent this past week prepping for an important week coming up, and the stress was definitely not helping me feel any less tired.  It was an exhausting week to say the least, so I spent last night at home, eating frozen dumplings and watching internet television.  Not very glamorous, but exactly what I needed.

Speaking of internet television, I thought I'd share a bit about what I've been watching lately!  Last night, I plowed through a few episodes of Downton Abbey Season 2.  The thing is - I don't love this show.  I watched all of season one and though, meh.  And then I just sort of started watching season two by default, but I'm a bit surprised that I don't love this show because everyone else seems to.  Am I missing something about Downton's allure??

I'm thinking of picking up a couple of (new to me) shows - How I Met Your Mother and New Girl.  I know that I am about 100 years late to the HIMYM bandwagon, and I have watched a few episodes before, but I think that I am a little intrigued about how the show will wrap up??

The other thing that I am really into right now is TED Talks.  As I mentioned previously, I'm participating in a month of TED Talks that have been curated by a girl I grew up with.  I thought I would share some of my favorites thus far!

Dan Ariely: What makes us feel good about our work - this one resonated deeply with me.  One of the most dramatic shifts that I've experienced since coming to Singapore has been my viewpoint on work.  I thought this touched on a number of observations that I totally agreed with, and it gave me a lot of things to think about more.

Meg Jay: Why 30 is not the new 20 - I definitely consider myself to have spent a large (too large) portion of my 20s not taking things seriously and just kind of goofing around.  Obviously, I also think that everything happens for a reason, but I definitely agree with the underlying message in this talk.  Of course, the past is the past, and I'm really happy with where my life is right now.  If I could do it all over again, there are definitely things that I would do differently, but the bottom line is, I wouldn't do it all over again.  I feel very lucky to have the life I live now with the outlook that I have now.

Bryan Stevenson: We need to talk about injustice - I loved this one.  I took a seminar class in college on the death penalty, and it changed my viewpoint on things entirely.  This talk is one of the longer ones, but it is full of great things -examples, insights, questions.  Really powerful stuff in this one.

Tony Robbins: Why we do what we do - Another really great talk.  I have never gotten into any of the Tony Robbins hype, but I loved this talk.  Great takeaways and thoughts from this one.

Overall, I'm loving the TED Talks.  They are short and easy to keep up with, and it has been refreshing to either start or end each of my days with some interesting thoughts.  And I've learned a lot too!  So far, so good.  Join in (click on the link to Jenny's blog up top) if you want!

One more television related note - currently, I use Amazon Prime as my main source of video, but I'm thinking of making a switch.  Anyone have any thoughts on Netflix versus Hulu Plus?  Please share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment