Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Reading recap

The other day I shared a television update, so I figured I should also share a reading update. Here the last few things that caught my eye:

The Vanity Fair with Kerry Washington on the cover - I have probably never read a VF, and I've mever watched Scandal, but I read this thing cover to cover!  Every article was great, including a write up about Benghazi. I'm not sure if this is still on newsstands in America, but it is a great issue.

Bossypants - I've never watched 30 Rock, but I do love Tina Fey (hey Mean Girls!), so when I saw the Kindle version of this book on sale for only $3.99, I snatched it up.  Funny, insightful, and easy to read.  I loved the book, and it made me love Tina Fey even more.

Lean In - I know that this book has generated plenty of buzz, but let me add to that.  I actually really enjoyed this, and even though I disagreed with some of Sheryl Sandberg's thoughts, overall I thought this book had a lot of really great ideas and points.  As I've started to think more about "what's next" after Singapore, I've started to think a lot more about "what I really want" etc, and books like this are great at stirring up ideas and lending fresh perspectives.

When Broken Glass Floats: Growing up Under the Khmer Rouge - Lena recommended this to be right when I moved to Singapore as a good book to learn more about "what went on in Cambodia".  If I am being honest, when she told me, my first thought was "what do you mean what went on in Cambodia".. and my second thought was "I probably won't ever read that".  But as I've noted over and over, one of the biggest things I've learned through my travels out here is just how little I know about this region.

PS- I ran five miles tonight!



No comments:

Post a Comment