Friday, October 19, 2012

Scenes from Singapore

It's Friday night, and I'm at home blogging haha.  Honestly though, this is exactly what I want to be doing right now.  I feel as if I haven't been in town a whole lot lately, and all the cross-continental travel has left me exhausted.  I went and got a facial after work today, and I'm planning to go to bed pretty early tonight because I'm hoping to run ten miles in the morning!

I've been taking random pictures, thinking "oh I should blog about this!", but then I never get around to blogging about it, so I figured I'd just create a random post full of random pictures and thoughts.  At least it will give you guys a little look into some of the things that have been catching my eye lately...

Ice cream sandwich.  There are vendors on streets that are more popular with tourists.  Ice cream sandwiches come in a variety of flavor combos - this is chocolate chip with wafer.  They usually also have vanilla, strawberry, mint, etc.  I've even seen durian flavored ice cream :)  The traditional way to order these sandwiches is with bread, but I always opt for the wafer!  This will cost you about $1 - perfect for a sunny afternoon.

Economy rice for lunch.  This was my lunch on Wednesday.  I think I've explained this before, but economy rice basically is just a scoop of rice and your choice of whatever meat or veggies you want to go with it.  I've decided that it is the Singapore equivalent of meat and three!  I got this in the cafeteria at my client, and I was lucky enough to get the employee discount (50% off!), so this plate of food was $1.80.

Side note - do you guys see how some food is so incredibly cheap and some food is so incredibly expensive?  It's very bizarre to me, but it is also why most locals in Singapore eat out all the time, but they only eat at local hawkers (food courts).

Can you see the two stickers on the back of this truck?  In Singapore, you are allowed to carry people in the bed of your truck, and it is regulated.  The sticker on the right says 13.. that is how many people are allowed in the back, and the sticker on the left says 70.. that is how fast you are allowed to go.  So it is very common to see tons of people packed into the back of a truck driving down the highway.. typically construction workers going to or from a job site.

Ok, my computer is now being super slow at uploading anything, so I'm done with blogging for tonight.  I'll put up some more random pictures soon :)  Have a good weekend friends!!





No comments:

Post a Comment