Sunday, October 21, 2012

A running dilemma

I'm not sure if you guys can tell, but I've been a major slacker on the running front lately.  With all the travel, it has been hard to find the will to get up and run before work, but now that I am in town for a while (and the fact that my half marathon is only three weeks away!), I have been hoping to settle back into a routine.

I didn't mention this when I did my Australia recap, but after last weekend's 10K, I had a bit of pain on the outside of my right shin.  At first I was really worried, but by the time I got home on Sunday night, the pain was only on the side of my ankle/foot, and not in my shin, so that made me less nervous.  My foot was slightly bothering me at the beginning of the week, and when I ran on Wednesday, it hurt.  I decided to skip the rest of my runs for the week in order to rest my foot.  By Friday, it was feeling fine!

I planned to run ten miles on Saturday morning.  I took my Garmin watch and my new handheld water bottle (with my iPhone in it) and set out.  Unfortunately, by the time I hit around the five mile mark, my foot was starting to bother me.  I was also really having trouble motivating myself mentally :(

So when I reached the next bus stop, I hopped on and hitched a ride home.  Wah wah.

Ok, so not only am I disappointed that I didn't even come close to running ten miles, but now I am a bit nervous about my foot!  I iced it a couple of times last week, and it felt fine by the end of the week, but then when I ran on Saturday it started hurting, and it was bothering me last night when I was walking around as well.  My half marathon is in three weeks, and I know that I need to put in some miles beforehand or else the race will absolutely suck, but I'm nervous about running long distances with this foot pain.

Runner friends - advice please!!

Side note - I ran with both my GPS watch and with the MapMyRun GPS app on my phone.  However, they were reading out at different distances... semi significantly ones!  I think they were usually about 0.4 miles apart.  Weird, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment