Tuesday, January 12, 2016

In the kitchen

Hi friends!  As previously mentioned, this year I'd like to spend more time in the kitchen cooking.  It's kind of a two-birds-one-stone deal.. not only does cooking for yourself save you money, it can also help ensure that you are eating healthy meals!  Plus, I enjoy cooking, so it's a good way to unwind, particularly when life outside the kitchen gets stressful.

In an effort to get the new year started off right, I spent a  lot of time in the kitchen last weekend!  Since I am pretty busy at work during the first few months of the year, I don't normally have tons of time to do anything elaborate during the week (if I manage to get groceries, I am happy), so I was happy to have a couple of days to relax and spend time by the stove.  Here is what I made!

Herby Barley Salad with Butter-Basted Mushrooms - anyone who has been to my apartment knows that I have a special love for grains.  Barley is no exception, and of course, mushrooms are absolutely my jam.  This simple salad was super delicious and came together in no time, so I will definitely be making it again!

Marcella Hazan's Rice and Smothered Cabbage Soup - this simple and delicious soup was the perfect thing to eat on a dreary Sunday afternoon.  The smothered cabbage takes a while to make, but it's totally worth it.

I also made a Kale Caesar salad with a Greek yogurt based dressing that I saw on Instagram.  The recipe was a bit heavy on the garlic, but otherwise super yummy and easy.

Do you guys care about what I eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment