Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Year in Review

Hi friends!  Hope everyone is doing well.

Earlier this month, I quietly passed my one-year anniversary of living in Geneva.  And what a year it has been!  Since arriving here last September I have:

Visited 20 countries
Twenty!  Isn't that crazy?  But it's true.  It has been so great to see more of the world.  I learn something everywhere I go, and it is such an eye-opening experience.  I am so thankful for this time in my life, and I have had such a good time travelling.  Favorites over this past year have included Czech RepublicSpain, Turkey (which I just got back from today!), ScotlandRussia, I could go on and on, honestly.

To give a little bit of perspective, in the two years that I lived in Singapore, I visited fifteen countries.  So I've been going at a pretty hard pace in Europe this past year.  I've mentioned recently that I'd like to slow it down a little bit more, and I'd really like to explore more of Switzerland over this next year as well.  But I know that I will keep adding countries to my Been list, (Ireland is the only one that I have on my calendar so far) so I'm looking forward to that too.

Learned to ski
After a slow start on the slopes at the Frozen Tundra Chalet, by the end of the ski season, I feel like I had managed to find my groove - thanks to ski club!!!  I'm looking forward to getting better at turning in parallel this coming season :)

Brushed up on my French
Currently, I am procrastinating my French homework that is due in about two hours, but I have diligently been attending my weekly classes.  It is a shame to look back and know that I could pass the AP French and IB French exams back when I was 18.  If I had kept up with it, things would've been so seamless here!

Gotten back in the kitchen
Even though I love cooking, when I lived in Singapore, I hardly ever cooked!  Since moving to Geneva, I've been able to get back in the kitchen and to make my own meals.  It has been so nice to know what I am eating, to find new recipes and experiment with new ingredients, and to cook meals with friends.

It has also been nice to be stripped of many of the convenience ingredients that I used to rely on back in the US.  Morningstar nuggets and Trader Joe's meals are no longer an option for me, but I have tried to replace those old staples with fresh foods.

Gained some perspective
Now having lived on three continents, I feel like I definitely have a different perspective on things - life, love, work, family, friends, all the things.  I think I am more patient (but only in some ways haha).  I (hope that I) think more about the "big picture".  Recently, a friend actually commented on how positive I always am (which I thought was hilarious because I have also been called the "most negative person ever" by friends).

Moving overseas changes you.  It just does.  Moving overseas for a second time has certainly changed me.  I've been lucky to find a fun group of friends, a good work environment, the mountains, and the lake here.  But of course, I miss my friends and family back home in the US.  Everything is a trade-off, you know?  But this past year has been incredible, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

1 comment: