Saturday, September 26, 2015

Turkish Delights: Istanbul Edition

After spending two days in Cappadocia, Emily and I flew back to Istanbul to explore this city that was once the seat of the Ottoman Empire.  Istanbul straddles two continents and is a total mashup of cultures, which I found to be totally fascinating.  Here are the highlights!

Blue Mosque
This place was probably my favorite site that we saw.  It is absolutely stunning on the inside, rivaling La Sagrada Familia that I raved about previously. 


 



Hagia Sophia
Located just nex to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia has been both a church and a mosque.  I found the mix of styles here to be really interesting.









Out one of the windows, you can see the neighboring mosque!

Basilica Cistern
Emily and I decided to stop in here on the recommendation of some people on one of our tours in Cappadocia, and I am so glad we did!  The cistern was built over a number of years, and you can see various styles of architecture among the columns.





The food
We ate some incredible food while in Turkey.  I have always loved the Mediterranean style of food, so this was absolutely up my alley.

These guys sell fresh mussels all over the streets that they shuck for you on the spot

Skeptical.. but it was delicious!




Turkish coffee




Of course we had to get the dinner that involved fire!






Apple tea


One more dinner with fire!



The palaces
We visited both the Topkapi Palace and the Dolmabahçe Palace, which were very different but massively impresssive.  The Dolmabahçe wouldn't allow any photos inside, so you'll have to use your imagination!















Dolmahaçe also didn't let you get their carpets dirty either!

The markets
I love a good market, and Istanbul has two!  We strolled through the Spice Bazaar and the Grand Bazaar, looking at trinkets and treasures.  Two of the funniest things happened to us while we were shopping - once, we heard someone say to us "excuse me white people!"  And at another shop, a man told me that he could I am American because I look like Abraham Lincoln :)






The waterfront
Istanbul sits right along the Bosphorus, which provides a beautiful backdrop for this lovely city!







No comments:

Post a Comment