Wednesday, September 2, 2015

An Asian Goes to Europe

As you all know, Nancy Lin recently came to visit!!  This was her first time in Europe, and we had a great time seeing some of Geneva and Paris together.

Two Asian tourists in Geneva!!

We spent the first couple of days in Geneva, touring the city and some of the museums together.  I also took mom up to Montreux and Rochers de Naye for a bit of scenery.

Cog wheel train to go up the mountain!


Rochers de Naye


They randomly had all these little guys at the top to greet us!

Traditional Swiss mountain lunch - fondue for Nancy Lin and rosti for me

Montreux lakeside!


We took the train over to Paris for the weekend and hit as many tourist sites as possible.  The days were pretty packed, but we got to see a lot!

Musee d'Orsay

We agreed that the Impressionist art here was our favorite

Obviously, I love all the Degas work.




Lady Liberty!


We spent some more time strolling through the city to make our way over to the Louvre.  While we hadn't originally planned to go in, once we saw how short the line was, we decided to go for it!  (Seriously, we waited maybe 15 minutes!)


You can just see the top of my mom's head here as she tries to make her way to the front of the crowd at the Mona Lisa :)

Incidentally, the Friday that we arrived in Paris was my mom's birthday, and we were lucky to have my cousin Vivienne join us for a birthday celebration!  The restaurant even sang to my mom :)



We also spent one day out at Versailles, touring the massive estate.  I was really impressed with everything there, and it made me really want to read more about Louis XIV, Louis XVI, and Marie Antoinette.











Of course, on Sunday, we went to church.  We opted for the international mass at Notre Dame, which was interesting because the building was so lovely, but it was a little bit lost on me because we aren't Catholic, and my French is not good enough to really understand mass.




After mass, we met up with Vivienne at her favorite restaurant in Paris - a Moroccan place!  The food was delicious, and it reminded me of the wonderful time I spent in Morocco last year.



Afterwards, we went to the mosque next door for a small tour.  It was beautiful!



Vivienne showed us a few more stops in the city, and then, of course, we had to stop for ice cream.

Nancy Lin actually is a faster ice cream eater than me.. if you can believe it!

After a great weekend in France, we returned to Geneva and spent the last day relaxing, packing, and shopping for last minute souvenirs to end Nancy Lin's European adventure.  A wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. Umm... this post is out of order, which is disorienting. Get it together, Mary!

    ReplyDelete