Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Post-Easter holiday in Amsterdam

Hello friends!  Happy Tuesday.  This week is another four day work week for me because I was still on holiday yesterday!  Since I knew that I wouldn't be able to travel anywhere for Easter (I wasn't 100% certain that I would wrap up my project at work in time!), a few months ago, I planned to take a long weekend in Amsterdam!  Amsterdam is one of the cities on my Swiss Bucket List, so I was very excited to explore!

Friday was pretty low key since we got in late.  We had originally planned to go see the tulips on Saturday, but the forecast was pretty crappy, so we thought we would try the museums instead.  We were disappointed when the lines for the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh museum, and the Anne Frank house were all crazy long!  I guess everyone else had the same idea as us.  Luckily, the weather turned out to be (mostly) alright, so we spent most of the day wandering the city.

Rijksmuseum - beautiful building, but there was no way I was going to wait in the enormous line!

Strolled through this lovely park

Waiting out a storm over some gin & tonics

Finally the sun came out for just a minute!

I had heard that Amsterdam actually had quite a lot of international cuisine (probably because Dutch food is not really a thing), and since the international dining scene in Geneva is a little bit lackluster, I was excited to get some good Asian cuisine!

Of course, we went for Vietnamese!!  My friend Lauren and I had just been talking earlier in the week about how she had never had Vietnamese cuisine, so I figured this was the perfect time to try!

Sunday morning, we woke up to sunshine!!

The canals are so much prettier with blue skies.

Ramen for lunch!



We stopped into this really cool tea shop in the afternoon.


Sunday night, we also had an (unpictured) Tibetan meal.  I had never had Tibetan before, and while it was good, I wasn't overly impressed.  On Monday, it was time to go see the tulips!  The journey out to Keukenhof was longer than I had expected (about an hour each way), and a lot of the gardens weren't in full bloom yet, but it was still a lovely morning!








Back in Amsterdam, I chose to have ice cream for lunch.  There was (finally) no line at the Magnum shop, so I happily paid 4 Euros to design my own bar!


Tons of toppings

I went with dark chocolate, topped with pistachio, coconut, and caramel!

More wandering


I saw these old ladies hanging out on the sidewalk outside a bar.  They seem awesome :)


A late afternoon snack and some people watching with this cutie

My flight back to Geneva wasn't until 9pm last night, so it was great that I got to spend the whole day in Amsterdam, but I am exhausted today!  I'm hoping to get a restful night of sleep, but I'm happy that tomorrow is already Wednesday.  Hope you are all having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment