Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Long week and lo hei

Well guys, it's only Wednesday, but it definitely feels like it should be Friday already.  This week has just felt really, really long.

In a way, it is sort of almost my Friday - tomorrow, the office closes after lunchtime tomorrow for the Chinese New Year holiday, which officially starts on Friday.  Unfortunately, I have plenty of work to do, so I will still be working instead of going on holiday like I did last year.

In celebration of the upcoming holiday, today at work, we did something a bit traditional - yu sheng!  Yu sheng is also known as lo hei, and it is meant to bring prosperity for the new year.  It is basically a big salad of shredded vegetables topped with raw salmon.  Some spices and a plum sauce is added, and then diners take their chopsticks and toss all the ingredients together.. and that brings good luck to everyone I guess?

Before the toppings are added

For some reason, I had always previously thought that lo hei had noodles in it, but I was wrong!  Our lo hei had shredded carrots, green radishes, white radishes, some other vegetables that I didn't know, salmon, a ton of peanuts, some crispy things on top, pepper, cinnamon, and sauce.  I was a bit nervous as one of my co-workers was setting everything up - I mean, salmon and cinnamon and peanuts??
 
Before the toss!

Sadly, I didn't take a picture post-toss, but it was pretty tasty!  It did taste mostly like a shredded vegetabel salad with an oriental dressing, but I didn't really care for the crispy bits that were on top.  Other than that - pretty good!  This was a new-to-me tradition, as I think this is a Chinese New Year tradition that is more common in Singapore and Malaysia, rather than in Taiwan?  Hopefully the year of the horse will be a lucky one for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment