Monday, May 20, 2013

Long haul flight essentials

Hi friends - I'm headed off to my third continent this month tomorrow night.  I'll be in Johannesburg and Capetown over the next couple of days, and I couldn't be more excited.  We've got a great itinerary planned, including a safari, hiking, city exploration, and a bicycle winery tour!  So I'll be staying busy and probably not blogging for about a week or so.

Since moving to Asia, I've gotten really good at taking really long flights.  My general feeling is that once you've done the 25 hour trip between the US and Singapore, everything else seems completely manageable. It's funny how in the US, I felt like anything more than 2 hours was a long flight, but now I think an 8 hour flight isn't too bad!  Perspective is definitely part of the game, but there are also a few things that I consider to be incredibly helpful for a pleasant 8+ hour flight experience.

1.  Status - If you can get status on an airline, do everything you can to get it!  I have most of my miles on Star Alliance, which United and Singapore Airlines are both part of.  Your own check in line, priority baggage, early boarding, and of course.. the lounge.

2.  Airport lounges - I am telling you, the airport lounge totally changes the travel game.  Oddly, you can't get into the United Club on a domestic flight in the US with status, but on an international flight you can.  Star Alliance also lets you into their member lounges when you are flying.  (Lufthansa lounge in Frankfurt is the best one I've seen so far!)  Anyway, the lounge is always a really nice place to relax, have a snack or a drink, and easily charge your phone, iPad, laptop etc.  It also tends to be very calm and quiet - not at all like some terminals that have crowds of kids running and screaming everywhere.  A lot of them also have showers etc for you to clean up in if needed.


3.  iPad - If you are lucky, you will have your own television to watch on the flight.  If you are on United, you won't.  An iPad loaded with books, movies, or TV shows is essential!!  I always have at least one book or magazine downloaded, and if I am flying an airline where I won't have my own TV, I usually just rent a movie from iTunes - it only costs a few dollars, and it is well worth it!  Also, don't forget your headphones.

4.  Something warm - I am always cold on airplanes, so I bring something to keep me warm.  Usually it is my favorite American Apparel circle scarf, which can be used as a blanket too, or a hoodie or jacket of some sort.

5.  Socks - I am obsessed with SmartWool socks!  These have quickly become my go-to socks, and that definitely includes travel.  If you're on a plane for 10 hours, you definitely want to be able to take your shoes off and curl your feet up.

6.  Small bag of toiletries - I usually put a few essentials in my carry on, just in case.  (Side note - I always check my luggage on these long flights - it's free, and it is one less thing to carry around.)  I always have my contact case and solution (I wear my glasses when I fly so that I can sleep!), a toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste, and maybe some hand lotion and/or face wash just to freshen up.  Sometimes I also put a small shampoo and body wash just in case my luggage doesn't make it.


7.  Other things that I usually have in my carry on - chargers and an international outlet adapter, my work laptop, makeup, extra hair ties, and a random snack (in case the food on the plane is terrible).


No comments:

Post a Comment