Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thankful

Omg hi everyone.  I know that I've been very delinquent in blogging lately, so I appreciate that you are still checking in and reading!  Life has been busy and full.  In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I thought I'd share with you some recent highlights to show you some of the things I'm thankful for!

Friends - One of the best things about expat life is the friendships you make.  Not only do I feel like you are much more likely to be friends with people you wouldn't otherwise be friends with, but you also develop these intense friendships very quickly.  I am so thankful for my friends here (and at home too of course!!).

Sadly, one of the worst things about expat life is the revolving door of people that are coming in and out of your city (and sometimes, your life).  Emily was one of the few friends I made before moving to Geneva, and I was so sad to see her move back to the US earlier this month.  We threw an epic going away pub crawl for her in order to give a proper send off!

Pre-party treats

My job - Although I go thru my ups and downs at work, I am definitely very thankful for my job.  It has led me to the most amazing opportunities, as well as some great friendships.

Since moving to Switzerland last year, I've done more work travel than ever before.  Earlier this month, I spent a few days in Bern, which is an area of Switzerland that I had never really been to, but I was very impressed!  We didn't get to see much, since we spent most of the day cooped up at work, but we did manage to get out for dinner in the Old Town one night, and I would love to go back one day to explore more!


In the Old Town, there are tons of little shops and restaurants buried into little caves along the road

Here we are going down for dinner - this cave has been around since 1635!

Yum!  It is always amazing to me how different Swiss German cuisine is from what we normally eat in Geneva!

View from the train on the way home.  The window is filthy, but the sunset was spectacular.

Home cooked meals - When you travel all the time, home cooked meals can be hard to come by.  Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love restaurants, but really there is nothing better than being at home, eating delicious food, and hanging out with awesome people.  I'm very thankful for my circle of people who are always willing to open up their homes and share a meal together.

Chicken chili

Gingered zucchini soup - I know it looks gross, but trust me, it's delicious.

Zucchini pasta!

New adventures - one of my favorite things about this season of my life is all of the opportunity to do new things and go new places.  Even though I am relishing (wishing for?) a bit of a calmer travel schedule now, I am still so thankful for the excitement of discovery.

Earlier this month, I did a quick weekend getaway to the Burgundy area of France.  We stayed in the town of Beaune, and there was actually a huge wine auction going on at the time, so the town was pretty lively!  We sipped lots of wine, ate some amazing food, and just soaked up the sunshine and the company.  It was the perfect little adventure.


Cheese course at our fancy lunch

Oysters!

 
There were no leaves left on the vines, but the scenery was still stunning.

I just love pandas haha :)






1 comment: