Sunday, November 10, 2013

I made pasta salad

Hi everyone - hope your week was good!  My week went by a little slowly, and I'm sad that the weekend has gone by so quickly and is almost over!  I am flying to India in a few hours, so technically, my weekend has been cut a bit short, but I've managed to squeeze in a good mix of activity and rest.

Friday night after work, I went to a surprise birthday happy hour for a friend, but I called it an early night so that I could get up and run on Saturday.  I spent some time getting organized at home before taking a break for lunch.  There are a ton of Japanese restaurants really close to my house, but I usually go to the same one over and over.  Lately, I've been thinking that I need to do a better job of not just going to the same places over and over, so I decided to try somewhere new (to me).  I ended up at a conveyor belt sushi spot in the basement of a mall haha.  Not bad, but I wouldn't go again :(

As far as conveyor belt sushi goes, this one was really well organized!

After lunch, I popped into the grocery store to pick up a few things.  A friend of mine is moving out of her apartment in a couple of weeks, so she had one last BBQ at her place on Saturday afternoon.  She provided all the meats, and guests were asked to bring, salads, sides, desserts, etc.  As I mentioned previously, I've really been longing to cook, so I decided to actually make something instead of buying something to take along to the BBQ.  I found a recipe online for a simple pasta salad - seemed like something that would be pretty manageable in my tiny kitchen!  Luckily, I already had a few of the ingredients on hand, but it cost me S$18!!  It really is crazy how much it costs to cook here.  I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Vending machine near the grocery store

Detailed instructions

Once I got all my ingredients, I put a pot of water on to boil for the pasta.  It took almost 45 minutes to get a full pot of water boiling on my tiny stove!!  It was outrageous.  I guess I've not really tried boiling a large pot of water before, but suffice it to say that I will not be cooking pasta again anytime soon!!  And the pasta salad turned out just ok.. so it wasn't really even worth the trouble or the cost, but oh well.  Lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment