Sunday, November 17, 2013

Buffet style

Hello everyone.. it's been a long week, hasn't it!  And, as always, the weekend has seemed to fly by.  Here we are again on Sunday.  Sundays used to be my favorite day, but somehow it has lost some of its sheen lately.  I still love Sundays because they are the weekend, but now they feel a bit more like a sad ending rather than a relaxing and carefree day.

This weekend has been a bit jumbled for me.  I was working in India for most of last week, and the travel schedule for that always throws me off a bit.  We flew last Sunday night and got into the hotel close to midnight.  (First time staying in the new Marriott hotel - super nice!  What a difference a nice hotel makes!) So I started the week off a bit short on sleep, and then on Wednesday, I woke up feeling absolutely terrible.  As the day went on, I just felt worse and worse, and if there is one thing worse than being sick in a foreign country, it is being sick in a foreign country and then having to get on a flight.  Wednesday night, our flight back to Singapore left at 11pm India time, which meant that we landed in Singapore around 6am on Thursday.  (Two things to note - it is only about a four hour flight to Bangalore and also, the time zone difference is 2.5 hours.  2.5!  I still struggle understanding that.)

Thursday was fairly miserable for me due to just feeling not great overall, but when I woke up on Friday, I felt great.  I actually had a really great and productive Friday, which included Din Tai Fung for lunch and a really nice time catching up with a friend for dinner.

Delicious dinner at Salt Tapas Bar & Grill

Saturday morning I woke up at 4:45 am and couldn't fall back to sleep until about 7:30 am.  By the time I actually got out of bed, it was almost noon!  I had double booked myself for the evening - a birthday BBQ for a friend and a 9km race.  Given how I felt, the choice was really easy.  I feel like a bit of a loser for skipping the race, but oh well - sometimes you just have to give your body some rest and just hang out with your friends instead?

Avocado toast helps too

The extent of my Christmas decorations.

Sunday morning, I woke up early and did some chores around the house before continuing the birthday celebration with brunch!  We went to a new-ish place called Catalunya, and it was so fun!  The restaurant is tapas / Mediterranean themed, so we enjoyed a lot of non-traditional brunch dishes, including empanadas, charcuterie, a twist on paella, and some really good sardines (I know, I know).

 
It came with a map!  So helpful!!

But the showstoppers came in the middle of brunch, when all the waiters would bring out large dishes to display and then serve to the restaurant.  We enjoyed suckling pig, salt-roasted whole fish, and a huge hunk of either lamb leg or veal shank - we still couldn't figure out which one!

Suckling pig presentation

I was thinking about it earlier this week (as I enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the Marriott in India), but I have totally gotten accustomed to eating buffet now.  Back when I lived in the States, I didn't really care for buffets.  I guess I always associated buffets with Shoney's or bad Chinese food, and I always thought it was a bit questionable as to how a restaurant could still keep up with food safety standards (keep hot food hot and cold food cold) if everything was just sitting out there on a buffet line.  But in Asia, I eat buffet ALL the time!  This week, I had buffet for breakfast Monday - Wednesday, for dinner on Monday, for lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday, and for brunch on Sunday!  Seven times in seven days hahaha.

For the upcoming week, I don't have any buffets planned, but I guess you never really know.  It should be a fairly busy week for me, and then I'm off to go to Yogyakarta on Friday!  Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  And just in case you weren't sure - I'm very thankful for all my peeps.


No comments:

Post a Comment