Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Around the clock

Well it is just about 9pm on Wednesday here in Singapore.  I am exhausted, but I am forcing myself to stay awake because I have a conference call for work that starts at 10pm!  I think I've mentioned this before, and I've certainly pointed this out to anyone who has asked me about my work hours in Singapore as compared to the US - but my experience in Singapore is not so much that I work more or less hours than I did at home, but the hours are much more a) stressful and b) uncontrollable.

Daylight savings time is what really messes things up.  I work mostly with people in CST, and right now, we are 14 hours ahead.  For some reason, the difference between being 13 hours ahead and 14 hours ahead seems to extend my workday quite significantly!  Yesterday, I started my day with a call at 8am and ended my last conference call of the day around 10:45pm.  Tonight, I will finish my last call around 11pm.  Luckily, I have no calls scheduled for tomorrow, but it definitely isn't atypical for me to spend at least half of my weeknights doing conference calls at night.

One silver lining to these late night calls is that I am usually left with at least an hour of free time in the evening to go to dinner, go to yoga, or just go for a run.  I try to take advantage of that time, but sometimes I just end up surfing the internet or watching The Mindy Project :)

Not a lot else to say tonight I guess - it has been a pretty boring week.. just work!  Yogyakarta this weekend.. I'm looking forward to a quick getaway and the chance to explore some awesome temples!

No comments:

Post a Comment