Friday, June 21, 2013

Haze update and observations

So this whole haze situation sucks.  But it has been really interesting to see how things have unfolded.  For those of you who are a bit behind, Singapore has been in a haze due to some illegal slash and burn going on in Sumatra (Indonesia).

Here is a quick update - the haze has gotten worse since my last post.  Previously, the record PSI for Singapore was 226, which happened in 1997 (also due to burning!).  We broke the record a couple of days ago and entered the "hazardous" range, as defined by the NEA, and today (Friday) the PSI reading hit 401 in the middle of the day.  And trust me - it was terrible outside when the PSI was that high.  Today's lunch break was just awful.  But it's weird because the PSI changes so quickly.  Earlier this morning, it was below 100, and it has been below 200 since mid-afternoon.  The Prime Minister has said that he expects the haze to last for a while, but I don't really know how to interpret that - as in, how long and how bad?

View from the office

The haze and poor visibility has been distracting for sure, but the worst of it is definitely the air quality.  Singapore is basically sold out of masks and air purifiers.  I've been trying to stay indoors as much as possible, taking taxis wherever I go (so that I don't have to wait at the bus stop), and generally just being miserable complaining about the terrible air.

Someone posted this on Facebook - same view three times.  You can't even see MBS in the last picture!

It's actually a bit scary.  I think I'm probably overreacting, but I think it's natural to feel a bit like this, especially since nothing like this has ever happened in America!  I actually even thought about trying to get away this weekend - to just fly somewhere with fresh air, but it seems that everyone else on the island had the same idea.  Flights were all booked up or crazy expensive!  As the haze got worse and the PSI rose, I thought that it might be worth it to shell out however much money I needed to pay to get out, but then I remembered that my passport is at the Indian consulate getting a visa for a work trip.  Sigh.  (Well, don't sigh.  Don't breathe deeply!)  

Believe it or not, this is a view from a building downtown.

The most shocking thing for me has definitely been the lack of information.  The NEA tweets out a PSI reading every hour, but then it doesn't really provide any other information.  Like, we know that the air quality is at hazardous levels, but the government hasn't really given any information about what this means from a public health perspective.  It is infuriating.  Earlier in the week, they said that people should avoid heavy exercise outdoors, and that the elderly and those with respiratory problems should stay indoors when possible.  But that warning was issued when the PSI was still in the "unhealthy" range.  No updates on what the "hazardous" range really means for all the rest of us.

Also, no updates on what the heck is going on with Indonesia.  Apparently, there were emergency talks held, but there has been no real statement or information released telling us what is next.  The silence is deafening.

Even at work, we didn't get any real statement from the company until this afternoon, even though this whole haze issue has been going on all week.

I feel like this situation would be so different if this had happened in America.  Like, if Canada was doing some sort of illegal forestation that was causing a massive cloud of smog to cover a major metropolis in America, I doubt that it would last for more than a day!  And I feel like news agencies, government spokespeople, and employers would basically be in communication overdrive to make sure that people knew what was going on and what to do.  I feel like part of my panic over the haze just has to do with the uncertainty and lack of information.

Anyway - this has turned into quite the rant, so I will end here.  Just pray for rain and winds to carry this haze away!  (Also, I organized my Gmail earlier today, and I suggest everyone else do the same!)

No comments:

Post a Comment