Thursday, August 13, 2015

Scotland and the British Open!

Bonsoir everyone!  After a crazy couple of weeks, I am so happy to be back in Geneva!  Since my last lame post, I've been on ten flights, as I crossed the Atlantic and back.. crazy, right?  The summer has absolutely been flying by, but I'm sure that my inability to stay put for more than a week at a time has really contributed to that feeling!  To be honest, I'm feeling totally wiped out and ready to just sit in my apartment and relax.  I know that I am so fortunate to be able to travel quite regularly, but I need to get better at balancing the need to see it all with the need to stop and appreciate everything.  I'm working on it...

After my recap of our Italian adventure, I had intended to do a totally separate post on the amazing food that we were able to enjoy, but I've fallen a bit a lot behind on this blog, so I'm just going to forge ahead!  In mid-July (wow, that was an entire month ago), some friends and I went up to Edinburgh for a long weekend to go attend the British Open!!

Even though I grew up in a golfing community, I have never really been into it.  Courtney and I decided to only go to one day of the Open, so that we could spend a day sightseeing in Edinburgh.  Since we arrived so late on Friday night, we didn't get a chance to do anything until we woke up on Saturday morning, and as soon as we got out, I immediately loved Edinburgh.  We spent the day wandering the city, touring the castle, and trying to learn about whisky - it was so great!


Cute coffee stand!




Hooray for economics!

I absolutely loved all these little alleyways!


We popped into Devil's Advocate at the recommendation of a friend, and we loved it!!



I don't think you can really see it in the photo, but the caption under the main sign says "luxury dairy ice cream".. I couldn't resist!



Boom boom!


I was kind of amazed at how big the castle was.  It covered so much ground!





Former prison

This is a former prison door.  Can you see on the left side, just below the hinge?  Someone (an American prisoner) carved in the stars and stripes :) 

Maybe this helps?


Obligatory ceiling shot




Rawr!

Outside the castle, I found an old friend!

Whisky flight

Sunday, we took the train and bus to get out to St. Andrews to watch the golf!  Like I said, golf has never really been my thing, but going to the Open was super fun!  It helped that we spent a little bit of time inside where we could hear the commentary.  That way, I was able to memorize people's outfits and figure out some of the standings.




It was an ugly day when we arrived.. and soon the skies opened up and it started to rain.

But it cleared up quickly, and the rest of the day was actually really pleasant!

Courtney and I spent some time on the lawn in front of the big screen.

I don't remember who this was, but I took a ton of pictures of him!

Great day with friends!


All in all, I really loved Scotland.  I'm so glad that I went because Scotland wasn't a place that was really on my list of places to go - it just seemed cool to go to the British Open - but I loved it!  I'm hoping that I can find some time to do a longer trip and get up to the highlands and stuff, but as I mentioned at the top of this post, I need to work on slowing my pace of travel a bit!

Hope everyone is having a great week so far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment