Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Weekend in Prague

Hi all!  How is everyone?  So far, my week is flying by!  The beautiful weather is continuing here in Geneva, and the forecast for the weekend in Paris looks great as well!  I'm loving the longer days, but I'm really wishing for a beach vacation!  The Amalfi coast is less than a month away though!

As promised, I wanted to share a little bit about our trip to Prague!  We had a long weekend, thanks to a public holiday (that wasn't Memorial Day but was the same day), so it was a great excuse to get away!

I had been working in Lugano (in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland) for the week, so I flew back to Geneva early Friday morning, worked the whole day, and then flew from Geneva to Munich, and then onto Prague Friday night.  It's been a long time since I've done three flights in one day!

Flight one of the day

One of my flights was on Air Dolmiti, which served us apple slices as the snack!

I was supposed to meet Cassie, Paul, and Tristen in Munich (they were flying from Zurich), but their first flight got delayed and they ended up missing the connection to Prague.  Womp womp.  Brian and Greg weren't arriving (from London) until a few hours after me, so once I had checked into our AirBnB, I set out to see a little bit of Prague on my own!

Did you know that Budweiser is actually named for in Czech called Budweis?  This Budweiser Budvar is not the same as the Budweiser we know in America.

I had read ahead of time that Prague actually has a very vibrant Vietnamese community, so I knew that meant that I had to find some Vietnamese food while I was in town!

Bun bo hue!

The main square.. all lit up at night!

I did some walking around the main city center before meeting up with Brian and Greg for the night.  It was so fun to catch up with the both of them!

Saturday morning, the Zurich crew finally made in to Prague, and we all headed out to explore the city together!  Cassie had heard of a market down on the water, so we went to go check it out.  As we were walking over, we admired the architecture, the waterfront, and the gorgeous weather!





After a little stroll, we saw a bunch of tents ahead, and we knew we had arrived at our destination!  We quickly set out to find some lunch among the various stalls!  It was a really good market, and we nibbled and sipped our way through.

Juices

Yum bread.

Local wines

I got some little fried fishes!

Toast with four types of pesto

Sausage with radishes!!

This actually reminded me of Swiss food

Potato chips!

After we had our fill, we left the market and went on to explore some more of Prague - the Old Town, the Charles Bridge, etc.  We were in pretty touristy areas, so it was pretty crowded, but it didn't really bother me at all.














For me, the absolute highlight of our trip was a food and culture tour that we did with Taste of Prague.  This tour was AMAZING.  It definitely rivals, if not surpasses, the motorbike foodie tour that I love so much Saigon.  I loved every minute of it.

We started out with some quick intros and a little sip of some homemade spirits.

Our tour not only showcased the delicious foods in Prague, but it also showed us how Prague has evolved over the past century.  The tour was led by Jan, a guy who is a bit older than myself, who has grown up in Czech his whole life and has seen what life was like both during and after communism.  The stories that he shared with us were SO fascinating, and I loved the way the tour taught me so much about the Czech culture and cuisine.

Little toasts to start out with.  These traditional foods are making a comeback now, after years of either being lost to the standardized foods prepared under communism or being seen as "not good enough" after the fall of communism.

This artisan butcher shop looked super legit.

Pork belly and sausages -- they sure do love their meat here!  The pork belly was my favorite dish of the night.

As it was a walking food tour, we also got to see some more of the city.

Loved the colorful design on this Jewish synagogue!

We ate at this amazing steakhouse that is true farm to table!


This beer was three days old - straight from the tank!  The one on the left is for men, and the one on the right is for women.  They say the women enjoy more foam on their beer.  I was super skeptical at first, because typically, foam is gross, but this was actually really smooth and tasty!!

We feasted family-style on all kinds of meat and veggies!

Our final stop was for dessert - and all of these were delicious!

We finished the tour around 9pm, and the sun was just starting to set.  We stopped for some photos and a few more drinks before calling it a night.  An amazing Saturday!






Sunday morning, we had a hearty breakfast and then headed towards Prague Castle.  


Mini Eiffel Tower

We see it in the distance!

Stopped here for a little break - terrible service


Sadly, a lot was covered with renovation stuff :(










As we were leaving, we actually walked through a small vineyard!  Jan, our guide on the food tour, had told us a bit about the Czech wine industry, and I am very intrigued to go back and tour some of the vineyards!





The rest of the afternoon was spent ducking in and out of beer gardens to sample the finest local brews.  And then we finished off our evening with a reservation at a fancy steakhouse!





In just about every way possible, the weekend in Prague was completely amazing.  I've definitely added Prague to my favorite cities list, and I cannot wait to go back!



No comments:

Post a Comment