Thursday, October 16, 2014

Things I've noticed so far

1.  People always say "bon appetit!" before eating.  Like, even in the cafeteria at work with your colleagues.

2.  Speaking of the work cafeteria - this is BY FAR the best work cafeteria I have ever eaten in.  It is also the most expensive, but today I had fresh pasta with clams for lunch in the work cafeteria.  I mean, that is a huge change from the economy rice I ate every day in Singapore.

3.  The transition at work has been less smooth than I expected.  Not to say that it's been bumpy, just less smooth.

4.  Spending ten minutes waiting for the bus without sweating is completely tolerable.

5.  I still have not figured out how to manage the food shopping situation.  Grocery stores are closed on Sundays (though I live near a Sunday farmer's market), and they close around 6:30 pm most days during the week.  On Thursdays, they are open til about 7:30 or 8 pm.  I try not to buy too much stuff at once because things spoil more quickly here (no GMOs!), but it's a tough balance between having enough food, but not having too much that it goes to waste!  Tonight for dinner I ate 2 roasted carrots, a pile of sauteed spinach, and a strawberry yogurt.  Not exactly a normal meal.

6.  I do not remember as much French as I wish.

7.  Public transport here is awesome. Maybe even better than in Singapore?  I feel like the buses come a bit more often here than they did in Singapore, but I suppose that time goes by much slower when you're uncomfortable in the heat.

8.  I took my first group exercise class tonight.  It was all in French.  I just tried to watch carefully, but I obviously couldn't follow any of the cues.

9.  Out of all the co-workers that I've really interacted with so far, I think only one of them is actually Swiss!  The rest are from the US, Russia, Belgium, France, and Italy.

10.  I am very unfashionable compared to the other people I see in Geneva.

No comments:

Post a Comment